Sunday, February 15, 2009

Happy Va-len-TIIIIIIINES Day

You guys came through on your end of the bargain, and I came through on mine. Except the gondola, because those are more expensive than I thought. Also I thought it might be best to keep Bradney away from populated areas. But trust me, the date was really good, and Ish was on hand to video tape the whole thing, even if he did complain to me later that I had "tricked him" and that he felt "creepy". Whatever, I paid him.

Anyway, I have to edit that, but it will hopefully be up by Tuesday.

And on WEDNESDAY................

I AM LEAVING FOR NEW YORK CITY. Can you even believe it? I feel like this has been my dream for so long. Well, for like, two months at LEAST. This is going to be a whole new and exciting chapter in my modern life!

Unfortunately, with the start of a new chapter comes the closing of another one. I am going to greatly miss all the people who mean so much to be here in California, mainly my mom, my Grandma, and yes, even Ish.

I worry about how my mom will handle the separation. Some of the conversations we've had over the last couple days have been disturbing. On Saturday, I woke up when my mom had climbed ONTO my bed to measure the space above my headboard.

ME: Mom.......what?!

MOM: Oh, morning poodle. Did I wake you?

ME: You're standing on my hand.

MOM: Do you think I can fit a King size bed in here?

ME: Why?

MOM: I'm gonna move into this room when you leave. I've always wanted a King Size bed.



She's moving into my room?! The poor dear is so heartsick over my looming departure that she wants to move into the very room where I've spent most of my life. She wants to cocoon herself, if you will, into the walls that hold the very essence of me.


And, later, coming out of my bedroom with a box full of stuff:



MOM: Early, sweetie, do you want these?

ME: My high school yearbooks?

MOM: Yeah. Should I toss 'em?

ME: No! Geez, Mom!

MOM: Well, I don't know, it's not like high school was that great for you. 

ME: But it's still a part of my history...

MOM: (flipping through it) There's only one signature...

ME: MOM put that down--

MOM: "Shirley Mirley"?  I don't remember that name. Is that your handwriting?

ME: MOM, NO!  STOP READING THAT, OK? JUST PUT IT BACK ON THE SHELF.

MOM: Fine. I'm just trying to eliminate some clutter, but fine.

*exits. comes back a few minutes later*

MOM: What about this? You don't really need this, do you?

ME: Mr. Fluffers?



She's giving away my THINGS! Typical behaviour of a bereaved mother. Because the PHYSICAL MEMORIES of my presence will be too much for her to bear!



And, finally, tonight:

MOM: So! What do you want for dinner tonight? Your laaast dinner home!

ME: I'm not leaving til Wednesday.

MOM: What.

ME: But I'll want Kraft Mac N'Cheese.

MOM: I thought you were leaving Monday?

ME: No.

MOM: Oh.

ME: So we actually have THREE more nights together! We can have Mac'N'Cheese tonight, too!

MOM: Right, well, actually honey, I'm feeling a little tired, I think I'm gonna go upstairs and read. Can you make yourself a sandwich or something?



She SO dreads my eventual leaving that she wants the day to come SOONER, just to begin the healing process.

Poor mom.

Oh well. All chickadees have to flee the nest sometime.

Like a bird,
Early

No comments: